Who plays video games?

ps3 as well, just not going to invest in ps4, not that much playing anymore, but son is using pc almost exclusively now. BTW we have about 100 ps2 discs aroun gathering dust, lol.

Exactly. My kid is anti-video game so variety is an absolute necessity, and a collection of PS4 games would cost a small fortune. I hedged my bets this Christmas with:
Two racing games,
Two fighting games,
Two Kingdom Hearts,
Resident Evil 2 and 4,
GTA IV,
Call of Duty and Battlefield 4,
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo.
And a couple random games that were too cheap to pass up. Fifteen or so games around a hundred bucks. Plus like 30-40 for the console and another 30-40 for controllers. Maybe $200 said and done.

Sonic racing is the favorite by leaps and bounds, but of course it is, itā€™s essentially Mario kart. CoD zombies gets some play now and then, as do the fighting games and GTA. But the rest of them might as well be Frisbees, at least then theyā€™d get used. :fearful: :smiling_imp:

PS2 was gold!

3 Likes

yes i played The Great Hunt mud. it was a heavily modified dikumud loosely based on the wheel of time series by robert jordan with lots of PKing. it started in 1994 and is still online but not very active. i also keep hoping for a MUD revival.

it was my first exposure to scripting, i wish i would have pursued programming more, oh well never to late to learn

Long live Zuggsoft Zmud lol.

Built in mapping was amazing.
Macros,
All the rage.

Well have to say the first game i ever remember playing was Marble Madness on a commodore 86, with green screen crt monitor when i was a kid. That was many decades ago.

But been a computer player since then, re going through fallout 4 right now and playing a mario style game called ā€œhat in timeā€ its pretty entertaining and as some humor.

4 Likes

My kids just got me a Crash Bandicoot shirt for Christmas, Iā€™m 54, wear it every weekā€¦ proudly, in public. Racked up hours of playing after the kidlets went to bed, almost every night for yearsā€¦good times.

2 Likes

no way, I love the modern marble madness games but I never knew that it was a remake from a old game. cool.

1 Like

turns out the MUD i used to play is semi active, was about 7 or 8 people online yesterday and a couple PK battles

telnet://tghmud.org:8500 and https://tghmud.org

I play PUBG too :slight_smile:

And Overwatch, and Rainbow Six: Siege.

2 Likes

I used to play rainbox six vegas a long time ago.

1 Like

I like the new R6: Siege. Its just a 5vs5, so nothing too chaotic, and compared to, for example Counter-Strike, it is much more slower paced and tactical.

Of course good aiming can save you in a lot of situations but with a good pair of ears and a thinking brain you can gain an advantage too.

As I am an older guy, I prefer this more tactical type of shooter over the others. I only play the PUBG with friends, not really my type of game otherwise, and Overwatch is too fast paced for me, that I play really rarely.

But of course R6: Siege is much more faster paced than the first Rainbow Sixes that came out back in the day, I have not played Vegas but the first one and the Rogue Spear and then nothing until Siege. So donā€™t know how it compares to Vegas but against the first two ones, sure, its faster paced, but to me not too fast.

One game I forgot to mention that I recently purchased was the Escape from Tarkov. Deep in beta still, it is a promising tactical survival FPS with complex bleeding mechanics and generally a VERY, VERY SLOW PACED gameplay. Old me likes.

3 Likes

I want to get a nintendo Nes retro system. looks like a lot of fun.

2 Likes

I could never get the Classic NES mini (they are supposed to do another production run this year),

But I ended up with a Super NES mini, and modded it to also include my favorite NES games :smiley: I highly recommend it, the nostalgia factor is over 9000!

2 Likes

Salutations,

For me emulation on a tablet has been the way to go, itā€™s just a matter of finding a suitable balance between available/resticted resources and computational/graphic requirements. For example, i used to appreciate ā€œDesert Strike - Return to the Gulfā€ running on SNES/ZSNES until i tried ā€œPac-Man World 2ā€ via Dolphin (for Nintendo GameCube/Wii games, possibly PCSX2 for the Sony PS2), though it always dumps at the same point using Dolphin, eventually. ā€œSuper Mario 64ā€ on ā€œProject 64ā€ felt adequate as well, perhaps a bit less demanding, but iā€™d hardly want to go back to visual rendering as with SNES games anyway.

The tablet is Intel-based (4-core), with full-HD (1920x1080), which i find convenient because it doubles as a portable TV with BlueTooth earphones, while i got some IR remote control and Logitechā€™s F710 gamepad attached via USB. Auxiliary (optional) SD-Flash storage is said to reach 128 GB in capacity but itā€™s not bootable, instead the OS is W10-32 installed on a 32 GB unit soldered internally and the problem with it is that although the processor is 64-bits the manufacturer resorted to a 32-bits launcher, hence the 32-bits OS insteadā€¦ Trying to evaluate Linux has been quite a hassle so far, so i plan to try using a USB-C Flash dongle someday. Just in case.

The thing is iā€™m worried by the time i get the software part dealt with there wonā€™t be replacement gamepads left in stores anymore.

Enjoy the fun while it lasts.

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

2 Likes

I used to have linux installed on my PS3 :smiley: along with NES/SNES/GB emulators, i think i had sega too. retro consoles are the only time i like to use a controller, for most newer games i prefer to use mouse and keyboard even on console.

maybe iā€™ll buy a new gaming PC soon so i can start playing CS again. maybe fortnite too.

I went as far as making a broken Wii U controller into a portable retro pie setup.

imgur album with lots of pictures and commentary

Also an album on making a game boy zero

3 Likes

Only game I play: Civilization3(pc) Yeah, Iā€™m weird.

If you know giantbomb.com, RTD was my brother-in-law for 3 or 4 days. RIP dude.

cannabis.sequoia

Iā€™m not a big game player but ea NHL hockey and gta have been a staple in my life for years.

1 Like

Literally just finished building an AMD ryzen 7 1700x. Asus prime x370 pro. Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb. Asus strix soar 7.1 sound card. 250gb Samsung SSD. Corsair gs800 PSU and Corsair h80i v2 liquid cooler

And an Oculus rift. Pitted with Logitech g29 wheel. Pedals and shifter. And playseat evolution alcantara.

Finishing up driver updates and shit and getting I racing VR rocking

1 Like

Yeah in a couple days (5ish) youā€™ll have another card to be building a system for your mate. :smiley:

1 Like