Ötzi the Iceman

Ötzi, the renowned Iceman discovered in the Alps, continues to intrigue scientists and historians alike. One captivating aspect of his discovery is the detection of cannabis pollen on his body. This discovery raises numerous questions about the historical use of cannabis and its potential medicinal and ritualistic significance.

Firstly, let’s establish some factual context about Ötzi and his life. Ötzi lived over 5,000 years ago during the Copper Age, providing valuable insights into ancient human history. Analysis of his well-preserved body, naturally mummified by the ice and other environmental conditions in the Ötztal Alps, reveals various health issues, including arthritis and injuries, prompting speculation about the potential use of cannabis for pain relief or medicinal purposes.

Moreover, the presence of cannabis pollen on Ötzi’s body invites speculation about its role in ancient societies., Could Ötzi have been breeding cannabis? Was cannabis solely used for medicinal purposes, or did it hold broader cultural or religious significance? Some researchers propose that cannabis may have been utilized in rituals or ceremonies, adding depth to Ötzi’s narrative.

What are your thoughts on this discovery? Do you believe cannabis played a significant role in ancient medicine and culture, as suggested by Ötzi’s case?

11 Likes

I believe in the “stoned ape theory”. I think early humans ( primates) used everything in their environment. However, I dont make a distinction between medicinal and religious use at that time. I think those are concepts that were invented later. :rainbow:

7 Likes

From what I have read the pollen was from pine and spruce, and hop hornbeam and not cannabis. Please supply a source stating the pollen was from cannabis.

2 Likes

They got his name off his drivers licence.

11 Likes

Now that’s news. I would have assumed since he was a traveling man they got it from his passport. Or even as simple as it written on his fruit of the loom underwear.

2 Likes

It was just a learner’s permit but it was enough.

Underwear wasn’t invented until the 17th century.

6 Likes

I thought he was found in the Italian alps. Everyone knows that Italians and french dont wear underwear. :joy:

3 Likes

Can you reference the source for the cannabis pollen? I studied Otzi a lot a uni and never came across that info or reference. I was aware of his a tattooed ankles which may indicate some type of acupuncture.

2 Likes

Here is a source I found on the subject;

2 Likes

I did see a source that referenced the word Sativa in his diet but the word Sativa in Latin names could refer to many plants and means cultivated plants:

4 Likes
6 Likes

Are you referring to the hop hornbeam?

“Pollen in the first meal showed that it had been consumed in a mid-altitude conifer forest, and other pollens indicated the presence of wheat and legumes, which may have been domesticated crops. Pollen grains of hop-hornbeam were also discovered. The pollen was very well preserved, with the cells inside remaining intact, indicating that it had been fresh (estimated about two hours old) at the time of Ötzi’s death, which places the event in the spring or early summer.”

2 Likes

hehehe

4 Likes

Sativa just means useful

5 Likes

Yes I dont recall any inference of cannabis and Otzi. I do remember he was probably murdered and hunted being killed from below. Im very familiar with many of the mummified bodies of Europe, especially the bog bodies which are posited to be sacrifices. Undoubtedly cannabis was being widely traded and most probably being bred by this point in our prehistory but I dont recall any info reggarding European mummies and cannabis.
One of the mummies I have greatest fondness for is Ginger, a naturlly preserved mummy, in the British museum from the predynastic site of Naqqada in Egypt.

2 Likes

I think I will leave that line alone……. :innocent:

But it was tempting……

4 Likes

:face_vomiting: / :rofl:

I guess they are tighter :thinking:

I still don’t understand grave robbing. But then again we can thank those Victorians! :rofl:

“Honey it’s cold, throw another Mummy on the fire.”

3 Likes

Sativa does indeed mean useful or " cultivated"
i member this tho Ancient skeleton covered in cannabis shroud unearthed in China.

3 Likes

Merlin, Mark D., and Heidi F. E. Wheeler. “Cannabis in the Ötztal Alps: Early Holocene use of marijuana in the Bavarian Alps.” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 364.1527 (2009): 3365-3370.

This article specifically discusses the discovery of cannabis pollen on Ötzi’s body and its implications for early human cannabis use in the Alps. 20160256b26952450d2 & He invented the Dab! :chicken:

9 Likes

can you provide a source for that? i’m neither french nor italian and don’t wear underwear.

6 Likes